While death is a natural, normal part of life, it can be a difficult concept to explain to children. If you have young children who are watching a loved one die–whether it be a parent, grandparent, sibling or friend–the patient’s hospice care team can support you in helping your children understand what’s happening.
We recommend the following books to use in explaining death to children:
- Lifetimes by Bryan Mellonie and Robert Ingpen
- The Fall of Freddie the Leaf: A Story for All Ages by Leo Buscaglia
- When Dinosaurs Die by Laurie Krasny Brown and Marc Brown
- Tell Me, Papa by Dr. Marvin Johnson
- Always Remember by CeCe Meng
- Chill & Spill: A Place to Put It Down and Work It Out by Steffanie Lorig
- Straight Talk about Death for Teenagers: How to Cope with Losing Someone You Love by Earl A. Grollman
Hospicare has copies of these books available in our library and on our wish list as we like to give copies to families with children.