Hospicare depends on the incredible commitment of volunteers who collectively contribute thousands of hours, working with patients and their families in a variety of ways, assisting in the office, and raising money for hospice and palliative care programs.
Patient Care Volunteers
Patient care volunteers commit to assist our patients and their families two to four hours a week in a variety of ways, including: companionship, respite for caregivers, light housekeeping, and assistance with shopping. This is done in the patients’ home setting, wherever that may be, including our 6-bed residence on East King Road. Volunteers in our residence are utilized on a daily basis to support staff in providing assistance with meals and companionship. Specially trained and/or professional volunteers also support bereaved families, play music, give massages, and provide pet visits. Additional volunteer support can include assisting with administrative duties and grocery shopping for the residence.
If you become a patient care or administrative volunteer, you will be asked to:
- Attend the 20-hour mandatory training session, offered twice a year
- Make a commitment of 2-4 hours a week for a minimum of one year
- Attend continuing education and support meetings to enhance your skills and knowledge of hospice
- Be reliable and prompt when performing assignments
- Participate in an annual review
- Successfully pass a background check
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the organization
- Have the ability to maintain appropriate boundaries
In return, you will receive:
- The joy of making a difference in the lives of our patients and families
- The satisfaction of giving back to our community
- The recognition, support, and appreciation of Hospicare staff
- The chance to meet new, interesting people
- Continued education and training
Prospective volunteers must submit an application and be interviewed by our Manager of Volunteer Services prior to attending the training. Due to COVID-19, volunteer trainings are temporarily on hold. Please sign up for our newsletter on our homepage to hear about future trainings.
For more information: Find out more about the process to become a Hospicare volunteer. Or contact Manager of Volunteer Services Wendy Yettru at 607.272.0212.
Volunteers assist with peer-to-peer fundraising initiatives, or support our events in a myriad of ways, from serving on a planning committee to helping ensure the safe passage of swimmers during Women Swimmin’.
For more information: Please contact Assistant Director of Community Engagement Sara Worden at 607.272.0212.