- This event has passed.
Sandra L. Bem Lecture on Compassionate Care & End of Life Issues
October 16 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Defining the Good Life — at the End-of-Life
Join Hospicare and Palliative Care Services for the Third Annual Sandra L. Bem Lecture at 7PM on Monday, October 16th at the Borg Warner Room of the Tompkins Public Library.
- Have you experienced a loved one coming to the end of their life facing a death without dignity?
- What does it mean to live with autonomy, dignity and joy, even as one is dying?
- Why are the frail, soon-to-die and dying given unnecessary operations and life-prolonging treatments?
- How can we improve the experience of dying for patients and their loved ones?
- What can we do to prepare and advocate for ourselves and our loved ones at the end of life?
Our panel will discuss these questions, answer your questions, and more.
This year’s panel includes Dr. Dierdre Neilen – Medical Ethicist, State University of New York and editor of The Healing Muse; Daryl Bem, local psychologist; Elaine Mansfield – Hospice family member, volunteer, blogger and author; and Dr. Suzanne Anderson – Hospicare Physician.
It is the hope of Hospicare that this program will encourage respectful, engaged dialogue on this important topic. We hope to spark debate, challenge the status quo and help change the experience of dying for patients and their families.
For more information about hospice, contact Shawn Galbreath at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-272-0212.